December’s Get Altered Challenge
I finished it, I finished it! Took me long enough, huh? In reality the bottle really came together quickly. It just took a bit longer than anticipated for the paint to dry. Finished it with time to spare because eP's Get Altered Challenge is open until December 17th…..
For this project I used a Starbucks Frappachino bottle – I also had a jar which I altered a little differently to be shared at another time.
The last time I had altered a bottle, I had used Claudine Hellmuth paint and loved the effect, this time I wanted the paint coverage to be more opaque. I used a several drops of Golden Fluid Acrylic mixed with Glazing Fluid. I dropped the paint and the glazing fluid right into the bottle, no premixing. Screwed on the lid and shook the bottle. The glazing fluid added to the paint allowed the paint to cover more because it made the paint more fluid and slow drying. (I know this because just adding paint – 4 drops) did not nearly cover anything at all, but adding about 6 drops of the glazing fluid to it worked just fine) Note of advice, it does take a lot longer to dry.
I followed that up with more texture by using stamps and Wendy Vecchi's new Archival Ink – Watering Can. My all time favorite color. It's not as bold as black, yet still dark enough to see. LOVE it.
Next I grabbed my Tissue Wrap paper, added color with Distress Paints and water mister, scrunched it all up and created a quick flower:
The paper flower was added to a piece of crochet flower circle (I had made this last year to use up scrap yarn). This was white but the Dylusions Ink Sprays worked great to add color. To hold it all together I used a large rhinestone brad and Helmar Quick Dry glue.
I glued the dried strip of receipt paper onto the bottle using gel medium and let that dry. Then came the hard part (because I didn't "think" about it before I glued the paper to the bottle), adding texture to the bottle with embossing paste and stencils. Not easy or perfect, but it turned out ok.
I used both a black and white pen to doodle around the ink spray stenciled butterflies. And the die cut leaves were colored with a combination of ink sprays and distress paint. Oh almost forgot, the two little flower buds were also made out of tissue wrap left overs. As an after thought I stenciled a word from Studio 490's Classic Word stencil onto a piece of scrap tissue wrap because no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it straight onto the bottle.
And there you have it. I LOVE how my bottle turned out, am thrilled that I finally found a use for my crochet left over piece and have to say that my new favorite color combo is blues, greens, teals with the addition of purple.
These Starbucks bottles are the perfect size to sit above my window on the frame ledge. I really hope you were inspired to go grab those empty bottles back out of the trash and join eP's Get Altered Challenge. For more inspiration and all the details and prize information, head over to the eP blog here. And don't forget today is eP's Day 3 of The 12 Days of Christmas event…..
Wow, two posts in ONE day…… ! Until next time,